This simple tomato and basil pasta sauce can be adapted to make a delicious bolognaise or a fiery chilli with the addition of a few extra ingredients.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 15-20 mins
- A clove of garlic, crushed
- A medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- A small handful of fresh basil (A tbsp of dried basil is just as good!)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fry the garlic, onion, celery and carrot in a little vegetable oil until softened.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, and stir in the basil if using dried.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes until the sauce has thickened. Add the chopped fresh basil just before serving. Season to taste.
- Pour over pasta to serve and garnish with fresh basil.
- To make a bolognaise sauce, add beef mince to the pan and fry until brown before adding the tomatoes.
- To make a chilli, add 1 tsp of chilli powder and a tin of kidney beans to the pan with the chopped tomatoes. Serve with rice or nachos.