The perfect accompaniment to a cup of tea, this biscuit recipe is super simple and can easily be adapted to make them vegan or gluten free.
Prep time: 15 mins
Bake time: 10 mins
Serves: Approx 20 Biscuits
- 150g (5½oz) butter or dairy free spread
- 200g (7oz) plain flour or gluten free flour
- 100g (3¼oz) caster sugar
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 75g (2¾oz) icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200 C / Gas 6.
- Rub together the butter and flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs; add the caster sugar and lemon rind. Mix well. Alternatively place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend.
- Press the mixture together to form a dough. Knead lightly. Roll out and cut circles, then place on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with a squeeze of lemon juice and a little water. Mix to a paste and coat the biscuits with the icing.
Tip: When using dairy free spread the mixture can be a little sticky. Instead of rolling out the dough it’s easier to take a spoonful of mixture, roll it into a ball and then flatten with your fingers. Dust your hands lightly with flour to stop the mixture from sticking.
Lisa is a Catholic and likes the colour purple, sunshine and being by the sea. She works for the Student Christian Movement.